Is Online Learning Right for You?
Roanoke-Chowan Community College’s online courses are equal to traditional courses in academic rigor and student requirements. Students should be aware that online courses may require more time than face-to-face classes and should not be considered easier that traditional courses. Self-motivation, good study, organization and time management skills, as well as self-discipline are needed for success in online courses. Students will also need to be proficient in the use of computers and technology.
As you consider whether or not to enroll in an online course, the distance learning staff recommends that you consider the following:
- You are prepared for college-level work. If you require remedial classes in math, English or reading, you may need to take on-campus developmental classes before entering the online program.
- You have access to a computer and a reliable Internet connection.
- You are able to download and use Mozilla Firefox (strongly recommended) and/or Google Chrome web browsers. The use of these browsers is required for online courses.
- You are comfortable and have a working knowledge of the Internet and email.
- You are able to create, save, locate, upload, download and attach electronic files.
- You are familiar with Microsoft Office, Google Docs and other programs.
- You can download various tools and software for use in your courses. Some items may need to be purchased. You are aware of what is required in each online course and willing to purchase as needed (this may also include a webcam).
- You are committed to spending the required time in order to successfully complete your assignments, readings, quizzes, discussion forums, projects and any other activities in the course.
- You are willing to communicate with the instructor and ask for help when needed.
If you have the skills listed above, then online learning may be the right choice for you. We encourage you to complete the assessment offered in our Moodle online orientation to better determine your preparedness for online learning. You may use the username and password, visitor, to log into the course.